Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is GamerSuperstar? And how does it work?
GamerSuperstar is another browser extension compatible with various browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, etc. GamerSuperstar is supposed to be an online gaming website that offers users to download a browser extension that could cause some issues on a computer where it’s installed. In addition, this browser extension could also silently enter your computer without your knowledge if you don’t pay enough attention during the installed of free programs.
Once GamerSuperstar is running in the system, every time you browse the web, you will be bombarded with dozens of ads of all kinds – from pop-ups, banners, in-text links and so on. This is the reason why it is classified as an ad-supported program (adware) and a potentially unwanted program (PUP). Every now and then, you will suddenly see the following nuisance whenever you browse the web:
- Banners offering shopping deals and discounts and other suspicious contents;
- Promotional videos;
- Ads and pop-ups promoting software or software update;
- As well as ads promoting questionable games and browser extensions, etc.
In addition, GamerSuperstar could also lead you to malicious domains displaying tech support scams that tell you that your computer is infected with some virus or malware. If you’ve encountered such things ever since installing GamerSuperstar, then your computer is clearly in danger so you need to delete this ad-supported program immediately.
How does GamerSuperstar spread over the web?
To delete GamerSuperstar from your system, follow the instructions below.
Step 1: Start by opening the Control Panel. To do so, tap the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 2: Look for any suspicious program that is affiliated with GamerSuperstar and then Uninstall it.
Step 3: Close all the browsers infected with GamerSuperstar. If you’re having a hard time closing them, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 4: After you open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the infected browser’s process and end it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the host’s file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries containing GamerSuperstar.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for GamerSuperstar or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Select “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- Click the More actions button next to the hijacker and click Remove.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Step 7: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 8: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to GamerSuperstar and delete it/them.
Step 9: Close the File Explorer.
Step 10: Empty the Recycle Bin.
Follow the advanced instructions below to ensure the removal of GamerSuperstar as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.