Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is SevereWeatherCheck? And how does it function?
SevereWeatherCheck, also known as Severe Weather Check, is a browser extension that functions as a search engine. Aside from being a search engine, it is promoted as a tool that can track weather changes in a specific location when users enter a city or input their zip codes. It may seem like a useful application especially if you always want to keep track of the weather but it’s actually categorized as a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program by security experts.
Once installed, SevereWeatherCheck will modify the default settings in the browser such as the search provider, homepage and new tab page. This kind of behavior is common in browser hijackers which usually results to redirects to tons of suspicious sites. You will also notice the sudden appearance of various sponsored contents from the affiliated sites of this browser hijacker. Clearly, the developers of SevereWeatherCheck gains revenue from displaying these ads. However, not all of the ads it delivers are safe for some are misleading ones that could reroute you to unknown websites.
Another alarming thing about SevereWeatherCheck is it monitors all your browsing activities in order to collect information related to your browsing habits. This includes your browsing history, websites you often visit, IP address, browser type, OS version and many more. The harvested data is used and processed and might even be shared with its affiliated third parties to produce more sponsored contents.
How does SevereWeatherCheck spread over the web?
SevereWeatherCheck spreads over the web using freeware or shareware packages that can be found on websites that offer programs for free. However, just like things that are too good to be true, there’s a catch – when you install software bundles, you will install not just a single program but multiple programs all at once. To prevent this from happening, you should always opt for the Advanced or Custom setup instead of just the quick one.
Delete SevereWeatherCheck from your browser using the removal instructions laid out below.
Step 1: You need to flush the DNS cache first. To do that, just, right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 2: Next, close the browser infected with SevereWeatherCheck but if you are unable to do so, you can close it via Task Manager. Tap Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the Task Manager and from there, end the browser’s process.
Step 3: After that, restart your computer and then open all the browsers infected by SevereWeatherCheck. Reset all the affected browsers to default to their default state.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Step 4: Next, tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “appwiz.cpl” in the field and press Enter to open the Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 5: From the list of programs installed, look for SevereWeatherCheck or any unfamiliar program that could be related to it under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 6: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain SevereWeatherCheck.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 7: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 8: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to the browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 9: Close the File Explorer.
Step 10: Empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Once you’re done executing the given steps above, follow the advanced instructions given below to ensure the removal of SevereWeatherCheck as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.