Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is MyPersonalPDF? And how does it function?
MyPersonalPDF is a browser extension that supposedly allows users a free, quick and easy way to convert Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other files to PDF format. Although it may seem like a useful program that could solve your concerns in converting several file formats to PDF, it’s actually a browser hijacker that could hijack your browser’s settings and change them without your permission.
Once installed, MyPersonalPDF will quickly modify the default settings of your browser such as the default homepage, new tab page and search provider. As a result, you will see MyPersonalPDF each time you open your browser. You will also notice new and suspicious browser toolbars and add-ons related to this browser hijacker. Not only that as you will also see tons of ads like banners, in-text links, pop-ups, and so on. These kinds of activities are stated on the official website of MyPersonalPDF.
- “Mypersonalpdf offers pdf converter in exchange for an agreement to install our software and receive advertising.”
- “Advertising can be served through either in-text, pop-up/under, transitional, shopping and/or banner ads.”
- “Ads served by Mypersonalpdf will always show the Mypersonalpdf brand and are clickable.”
As you can see, even though MyPersonalPDF may be useful on converting files to PDF format, using it also comes with many risks as this browser hijacker can also monitor all your browsing activities in order to gather browsing data like search queries, browser type, links you’ve clicked, and many more.
How is MyPersonalPDF distributed over the web?
MyPersonalPDF is distributed in its official websites as well as in the Chrome Web Store. Moreover, it also uses a shady technique called software bundling which is commonly used by other browser hijacker developers. In other words, MyPersonalPDF can also be found on software bundles. Along with other browser hijackers and unwanted programs, MyPersonalPDF is added as one of the extra programs in software bundles. To avoid installing such programs, you must always opt for the Advanced or Custom setup instead of the standard one.
Make sure to follow the removal instructions provided below to delete MyPersonalPDF from your browser and computer.
Step 1: You need to close the browser infected with the browser hijacker. And if you can’t close it manually, you can close it using the Task Manager instead. Tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys and open the Task Manager.
Step 2: Next, look for the process of your browser, right click on it and select End task or End process to close it.
Step 3: Afterwards, tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “appwiz.cpl” in the field and press Enter to open the Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 4: From the list of programs installed, look for any programs that could be related to MyPersonalPDF or any suspicious program you don’t remember installing under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain MyPersonalPDF.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Now you have to flush the DNS cache of your computer. To do so, right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 7: After that, restart your computer and then open your browsers and reset them back to their default state.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Step 8: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 9: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to the browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 10: Close the File Explorer and empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Refer to the advanced instructions given below to ensure the removal of this browser hijacker from your computer as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.