Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Advanced System Repair to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
Omnibox.bar is a browser extension that functions as a search engine that allows users to modify the wallpaper of its homepage. It claims to improve users’ browsing experience by giving them improved search results. However, it is categorized as a browser hijacker as well as a potentially unwanted program as it can get installed in your computer without your permission.
If installed, Omnibox.bar will adjust the default search provider, homepage as well as the new tab URL. It could also install some unknown toolbars and add-ons in the browser which, once again, is done without your permission. After all these changes made, it now becomes easier for this browser hijacker to inject tons of ads into every website you visit online. So don’t be surprised if you suddenly see pop-ups, banners, in-text links and other sponsored content s you browse the web. This kind of practice is common for browser hijackers as it brings revenue to its developers via pay-per-click marketing. However, some of the ads it display are not as harmless as they seem for some could redirect you to highly suspicious websites that might contain harmful content and could cause harm to your computer.
Aside from that, Omnibox.bar also monitors all your activities on the internet in order to obtain information which may include your IP address, websites you visit often, search queries, browsing history and other data related to your browsing. The collected data may be shared and used with its affiliated third parties so it can deliver you more and more customized and personalized ads. Needless to say, there is nothing really useful about Omnibox.bar and it could even cause potential damage to your computer as well as to your data for it could be misused.
How is Omnibox.bar distributed over the web?
Omnibox.bar is disseminated in free sharing sites. It is a part of free software packages known as software bundles where it is added as one of the extra components along with other unwanted programs. This means that when you install software bundles, you may end up installing other unwanted programs like Omnibox.bar. To prevent this from happening, it would be better if you opt for the Advanced or Custom setup instead of the quick one when installing this kind of software package.
Refer to the removal instructions given below to erase Omnibox.bar from your browser and computer.
Step 1: You need to close the browser infected with the browser hijacker. And if you can’t close it manually, you can close it using the Task Manager instead. Tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys and open the Task Manager.
Step 2: Next, look for the process of your browser, right click on it and select End task or End process to close it.
Step 3: Afterwards, tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “appwiz.cpl” in the field and press Enter to open the Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 4: From the list of programs installed, look for any programs that could be related to Omnibox.bar or any suspicious program you don’t remember installing under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain Omnibox.bar.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Now you have to flush the DNS cache of your computer. To do so, right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 7: After that, restart your computer and then open your browsers and reset them back to their default state.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Step 8: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 9: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to the browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 10: Close the File Explorer and empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Refer to the advanced instructions given below to ensure the removal of this browser hijacker from your computer as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.