Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Fmovies? And how does it work?
Fmovies is a dubious website that claims to provide users with valuable online streaming service. However, judging from the amount it displays, its real goal is to generate profit from the ads it delivers to users. In other words, Fmovies is just nothing but a pirated content streaming websites that uses malvertising to gain revenue. This is why security experts categorize this site as an ad-supported one.
You can get redirected to this shady online streaming site when you search for some movie streaming sites over the web. On the other hand, you can also get redirected to this site when there is an adware program installed in your computer. It is no secret that adware programs cause redirects to shady websites like Fmovies. This means that even when you don’t seek out movie streaming sites, you can still end up on this site because of the ad-supported program in your computer.
The adware can also spy on all your online activities in order to collect your browsing-related information. The harvested data may be used and even shared with third parties to generate more personalized and customized sponsored contents. Bear in mind that not all the ads displayed by Fmovies are legitimate as some of them can reroute you to other suspicious websites that might contain harmful or malicious content. So if you want to continue browsing peacefully without getting redirected to shady websites like Fmovies, you must get rid of the adware program installed in your computer.
How does Fmovies circulate the internet?
As mentioned, you can end up in the Fmovies website when you search for free movie streaming sites online or when there is an adware program installed in your PC. Adware programs often circulate the web via software bundles that are found on free sharing sites. If you frequently use software bundles in installing programs, you have to be careful because chances are, that’s how the adware program behind Fmovies got into your computer in the first place. To prevent this from happening again, you must always opt for the Advanced or Custom setup when installing any free software packages.
To get rid of Fmovies as well as the adware program that’s causing redirects to this site, you need to follow the removal guide below.
Step 1: Start by opening the Task Manager by simply pressing the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys.
Step 2: Next, go to Processes and look for dubious processes that could be related to Fmovies and then right click on each one of them and select End Process or End Task to kill their processes.
Step 3: Then open the Control Panel. To do so, tap the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 4: Look for Fmovies and any suspicious program and then Uninstall them.
Step 5: Close all the browsers affected by Fmovies. If you’re having a hard time closing them, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 6: After you open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the infected browser’s process and end it.
Step 7: Edit your Hosts File
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries containing Fmovies.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 8: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for Fmovies Ads or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Select “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- Click the More actions button next to the hijacker and click Remove.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Step 9: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 10: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to Fmovies Ads and delete it/them.
Step 11: Close the File Explorer.
Step 12: Empty the Recycle Bin.
Step 13: Afterwards, you have to flush the DNS cache. To do that, just, right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Follow the advanced instructions below to ensure the removal of Fmovies adware using Restoro as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.