Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Search.hdocumentconverter.app? And how does it function?
Search.hdocumentconverter.app is a dubious application that functions as a browser extension. It is supposed to convert documents to PDF. However, it is discovered to be featuring suspicious behaviors – for one, it can sneak into a computer without it getting noticed by a user. On initial inspection, this program may seem to look like a legitimate one when in fact it’s a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program all rolled into one.
If it gets installed, Search.hdocumentconverter.app alters the new tab URL, default search engine and the homepage. This browser hijacker has the ability to read and change all the information on the websites you visit, manage your downloads, apps, extensions, and themes. In addition, this toolbar also has the habit of constantly delivering users with tons of intrusive ads. These ads pop out of nowhere and can get really bothersome. This goes to show that this toolbar is after pay-per-click revenue which is common for browser hijackers.
Another worrisome feature of this program is that it gathers your browsing-related information – from the geographic location obtained from your IP address, your browsing history, ads you’ve clicked, to the websites you often visit and so much more. The information collected is shared to third parties used to deliver targeted ads. So if you really value your privacy, keeping this program installed on your computer is not a wise idea. It would be better if you remove this toolbar as soon as you can as it exposes your computer to potential threats – that’s right, Search.hdocumentconverter.app also shows signs of constant redirects to suspicious websites – which is why before it gets any worse, you have to remove it.
How is Search.hdocumentconverter.app distributed over the web?
Like other browser hijackers, Search.hdocumentconverter.app is distributed using a technique known as software bundling. This technique is commonly used by developers of browser hijackers and PUPs in order to sneak their dubious programs into computers without knowledge from users. This is the reason why using the Advanced or Custom setup is advised. This recommended setup allows you to get rid of any extra components added in the bundle. Thus, you need to use it for every software bundle installation.
Make sure to follow the removal instructions provided below to get rid of Search.hdocumentconverter.app from your browser and computer.
Step 1: The first thing you have to do is to close the browser infected with the browser hijacker. And if you can’t close it manually, you can close it using the Task Manager instead. Tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys and open the Task Manager.
Step 2: Next, look for the process of your browser, right-click on it and select End task or End process to close it.
Step 3: Afterwards, tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “appwiz.cpl” in the field and press Enter to open the Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 4: From the list of programs installed, look for any programs that could be related to the browser hijacker or any suspicious program you don’t remember installing under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the host’s file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain Search.hdocumentconverter.app.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Now you have to flush the DNS cache of your computer. To do so, right-click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 7: After that, restart your computer and then open your browsers and reset them back to their default state.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Step 8: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 9: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to the browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 10: Close the File Explorer and empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Refer to the advanced instructions given below to ensure the removal of this browser hijacker from your computer as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.