Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Advanced System Repair to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is VideoDownloadConverter? And how does it work?
VideoDownloadConverter is a browser extension created for Google Chrome browsers. It is offered in the Chrome Web Store as an extension that allows users to convert various video formats. It supposedly allows users to download videos, listen to the radio online as well as provide users with links to popular sites like Facebook, Gmail, Yahoo, Instagram, Amazon and many more.
“We may receive information from third-parties, including our authorized service providers, IAC affiliates, advertising companies, and ad networks. These third parties may display ads via the MS Services.These companies may use tracking technologies, such as cookies, to collect information about users who view or interact with these advertisements.”
As you can see, using VideoDownloadConverter might only cause you your privacy. Not to mention that it could also redirect you to some suspicious parts of the web that may contain malicious content.
How is VideoDownloadConverter disseminated over the web?
As pointed out earlier, VideoDownloadConverter is disseminated in the Chrome Web Store but not only that as it can also be found among software bundles in free sharing sites. This browser hijacker is added as one of the extra components in a software package along with other suspicious programs. So if you must really install software bundles, you need to use the Custom or Advanced setup to avoid unwanted installation of browser hijackers and other unwanted programs.
Follow the removal guide prepared below to get rid of VideoDownloadConverter from your computer.
Step 1: Tap the Win + R keys to open Run and then type in appwiz.cpl to open Programs and Features under Control Panel. From there, look for VideoDownloadConverter and uninstall it as well as other suspicious programs.
Step 2: Look for VideoDownloadConverter Extension under the list of installed programs. Once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 3: Close the Control Panel and tap the Win + E keys to open File Explorer. Navigate to the following directories and look for the hijacker’s installer like the software package it came with as well as other suspicious files and delete them.
Step 4: Close the File Explorer.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries containing VideoDownloadConverter Extension.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Launch the Google Chrome browser and click the wrench icon. Afterwards, click on Tools from the drop-down menu and select Extensions.
Step 7: Under the Extensions tab, select VideoDownloadConverter extension and other suspicious browser extensions related to it and then click on the Trash icon.
Step 8: Click on Remove button from the confirmation dialog box.
Step 9: Reset Google Chrome. To do that, click the three stripes icon located at the upper-right corner of your screen. And then select Settings.
Step 10: under Settings, look for Show advanced settings at the bottom of the page and click on it.
Step 11: Then click on the Reset browser settings button.
Step 12: After that, a dialog box pops up, click the Reset button to Reset Chrome.
Step 13: After you reset Chrome, enable the Phishing and Malware Protection in Chrome to prevent ad-supported programs like VideoDownloadConverter extension from infecting your computer again in the future. To do that, click Settings once again.
Step 14: Select the Show advanced settings again.
Step 15: Go to the Privacy section and check the Enable phishing and malware protection option.
Step 16: Restart Google Chrome.
Step 17: Don’t forget to empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
To completely get rid of VideoDownloadConverter extension and any files it may have created in your computer upon installation, you need to use Advanced System Repair – simply follow the steps below on how to use it.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now”button.