Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Advanced System Repair to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is B-ok.org? And how does it work?
B-ok.org is a browser extension that supposedly offers users with e-book services. It works as a search engine for e-books so if you want to look up e-books online, you might find this browser extension useful. However, it’s anything but useful since it’s actually categorized by security experts as a browser hijacker and a PUP or potentially unwanted program. If installed, B-ok.org will change the appearance of the browser as well as its default settings like the search engine, new tab page and homepage. B-ok.org can also add some suspicious toolbars and add-ons in the browser which allows the browser hijacker to control your browsing activities.
Upon installation, you will notice sudden increase of sponsored contents as you browse the web such as banners, in-text links, pop-ups, and many more. These ads can redirect you to various websites some of which are suspicious and could harm your computer. Most of these ads are from the affiliated sites of B-ok.org. In addition, this browser hijacker can also obtain your browsing-related information. The harvested data is then used to generate more ads and may even be shared with its affiliated sites. This clearly shows that your browsing-related data like your email address, search queries, browsing history, IP address and other browsing data is at risk and may be misused. This is why you must delete this browser hijacker from your computer as soon as you can before it’s too late.
How is B-ok.org distributed over the web?
B-ok.org may be distributed using free software packages known as software bundles. It is added as one of the extra programs together with other unknown and unwanted programs that could potentially harm the computer if installed. So the next time you install this kind of software package, you need to use the Custom or Advanced setup instead of the quick one to avoid installing unwanted programs like B-ok.org.
To delete B-ok.org from your browser and computer, make sure to follow the removal instructions given below.
Step 1: Close the browser infected with B-ok.org but if you are unable to do so, you can close it via Task Manager. Tap Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the Task Manager and from there, end the browser’s process.
Step 2: Afterwards, you have to flush the DNS cache. To do that, just, right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 3: After that, restart your computer and then open all the browsers infected by B-ok.org. Reset all the affected browsers to default to their default state.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Step 4: Next, tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “appwiz.cpl” in the field and press Enter to open the Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 5: From the list of programs installed, look for B-ok.org or any unfamiliar program that could be related to it under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 6: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain B-ok.org.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 7: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 8: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to the browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 9: Close the File Explorer.
Step 10: Empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Refer to the advanced instructions given below to ensure the removal of B-ok.org as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.