Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Advanced System Repair to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is YOUR COMPUTER WAS LOCKED scam? And how does it work?
YOUR COMPUTER WAS LOCKED scam is a deceiving alert meant to trick users into thinking that something is wrong with their PCs. This tech support scam is hosted on malicious websites which you can get redirected to when you click some ads or when there is an ad-supported program installed in your computer that’s causing such redirects. When you get redirected to such sites, you will see the following alert on your browser:
“YOUR COMPUTER WAS LOCKED
Call Microsoft Technical Support +1-844-750-6256 (Toll-Free):
Do Not Ignore This Important Warning
If you close this page without resolving issue, access to your computer will be disabled to prevent further damage to our network.
Your computer has alerted us that it was infected with virus and spyware. The following data is at risk:
- Facebook Login
- Credit Card Information
- Email Credentials
- Browsing History and Data
You must contact us immediately so our engineers can guide you though the recovery process by phone. Please call us within the next 5 minutes to prevent compete loss of your computer.”
The message may seem believable and it even has some error code. As alarming the message may be, you should know better than to believe this scam since there really nothing wrong with your computer except that there might be an adware installed in it. You must not contact the fake tech support number given as you would only end up talking to the crooks behind this scam. In fact, they might only convince you to install some shady program, or pay for some unwanted and unnecessary service or worse, unknowingly give them remote access to your computer.
How does YOUR COMPUTER WAS LOCKED scam travel the web?
Like pointed out earlier, the YOUR COMPUTER WAS LOCKED scam travels the web using malicious websites as well as ads and ad-supported programs. Ad-supported programs or adware can often be found on software bundles. So if you have installed this kind of software package lately, you might want to consider checking the programs you recently installed as one of them could be the adware that’s causing the redirects to websites that are hosting the YOUR COMPUTER WAS LOCKED scam.
Carefully follow the removal guide below to delete YOUR COMPUTER WAS LOCKED tech support scam.
Step 1: Tap F11 to exit if your browser is forced into full screen mode.
Step 2: After that, try to close the browser manually. If you find it hard to do so, close the browser through the Task Manager.
Step 3: Tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to launch the Task Manager.
Step 4: After opening the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the affected browser’s process and end it by clicking End task or End Process.
Step 5: Close the Task Manager and tap the Win + R keys to open Run and then type in appwiz.cpl to open Control Panel to uninstall the adware program behind the fake alert.
Step 6: Look for the adware program or any unfamiliar program under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 7: Close Control Panel.
Step 8: Then tap the Win + E keys to open File Explorer.
Step 9: Reset all your browsers back to their default state.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for suspicious browser extensions or any unwanted add-on, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Select “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- Click the More actions button next to the hijacker and click Remove.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes made.
Step 10: Navigate to the following directories and look for the adware installer like the software bundle it came with as well as other suspicious files and delete them.
Step 11: Close the File Explorer and empty your Recycle Bin.
To ensure the complete removal of YOUR COMPUTER WAS LOCKED scam you have to use a reliable program like Advanced System Repair. How? Follow the advanced removal steps below.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.