Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Searchpowerapp.com? And how does it work?
Searchpowerapp.com is promoted as a search engine that makes use of popular and legitimate search tools like Yahoo or Bing. It is developed by Search Dimension, a company based in United Arab Emirates. However, it was determined that this shady search engine is actually a browser hijacker and a PUP that hijack the settings of browsers upon installation. It affects several browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and more. It infuses search results with sponsored content from affiliated sites.
“When we provide you with an email inbox as part of a Search Dimension Product, we may monitor and collect the contents of such emails in the course of normal maintenance of the relevant Search Dimension Product and its systems.”
In addition, the data that this browser hijacker acquires may even be shared with its affiliated sites in order to increase and customized the sponsored contents it displays to users. Thus, browsing the web using Searchpowerapp.com is not only unsafe but would also diminish the quality of your browser. The best thing you can do is to get rid of Searchpowerapp.com from your browser and computer before it’s too late.
How is Searchpowerapp.com disseminated over the web?
Searchpowerapp.com, like other browser hijackers, spread the web using software bundles that can be found on free sharing sites. It is added as one of the extra programs in a software bundle and you could end up installing it unknowingly when you install this kind of software package. To prevent that from happening, you have to use the Custom or Advanced setup instead of the typical standard setup.
Get rid of Searchpowerapp.com and the package it came with by following the removal instructions laid out below.
Step 1: First, you need to flush the DNS cache of your computer. To do so, right-click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 2: After that, restart your computer and then open all the browsers infected by Searchpowerapp.com. Reset all the affected browsers to default to their default state.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Step 3: Next, tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “appwiz.cpl” in the field and press Enter to open the Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 4: From the list of programs installed, look for any programs that could be related to Searchpowerapp.com or any suspicious program you don’t remember installing under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain Searchpowerapp.com.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 7: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to the browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
Step 9: Empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Step 10: Proceed to the next advanced removal guide below.
Refer to the advanced instructions given below to ensure the removal of this browser hijacker from your computer as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.