Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Sport Reminder Search? And how does it work?
Sport Reminder Search is a program that works as a browser extension. It is also known as “SportMuze Search” which is distributed in the Chrome Web Store and is developed by the infamous company, Polarity Technologies. It claims to provide users with live sport reminder by setting notifications for favorite matches. Users will supposedly get notified before the start of the match for all games like “NBA, NFL, Soccer and Baseball league matches”.
Though this browser extension may appear useful, especially for sports enthusiast, it actually can’t be trusted as it can hijack the settings of your browsers without you knowing. This is why it is classified as a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program or PUP. If you install this dubious program, it will make Sport Reminder Search as the default search engine, homepage and new tab URL. These changes are made so it could redirect you to shady web pages it might be related to as well as add more suspicious toolbars and bookmarks on your browser. Note that it affects various browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and more. Apart from redirects to suspicious websites, this browser hijacker could also display advertisements from its affiliated third parties. Due to the amount of ads it displays, it can affect your browsing as it slows down your browser. So obviously, keeping Sport Reminder Search installed in your computer is not advised. What’s more is that it could also track down your browsing habits so it can obtain information that might be shared with its affiliated third parties. This clearly puts your privacy and security at risk. Thus, deleting this browser hijacker from your computer as soon as possible is a must.
How does Sport Reminder Search spread online?
Get rid pof Sport Reminder Search from your browser and your computer by using the instructions given below as a reference.
Step 1: You have to flush the DNS cache of your computer first. To do so, right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and tap Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 2: After that, restart your computer and then open all the browsers infected by Sport Reminder Search. Reset all the affected browsers to default to their default state.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Step 3: Next, tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “appwiz.cpl” in the field and press Enter to open the Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 4: From the list of programs installed, look for Sport Reminder Search or any unfamiliar program that could be related to it under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain Sport Reminder Search.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 7: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to the browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
Step 9: Empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Refer to the advanced instructions given below to ensure the removal of this browser hijacker from your computer as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.