Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Advanced System Repair to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is GILLETTE ransomware? And how does it execute its attack?
GILLETTE ransomware is a new crypto-virus that was discovered recently. It uses a “.GILLETTE” extension in marking the files it encrypts. Once its malicious payload is dropped in the system, it will connect it to a Command & Control server controlled by its creators. This is where GILLETTE ransomware sends the information it gathers about the system.
From this server, it downloads its other malicious components and puts them into several system folders. They are used to manipulate system processes. They also scan the system for strings of certain programs like sandbox environment, virtual hosts, Firewall and antivirus programs. Once it finds these programs, it disables or removes them to prevent them from interfering with the attack. It also modifies the Windows Registry which affects some keys and sub-keys so that it can run automatically in every system boot. After that, it will start to encrypt important data in the system using an encryption algorithm. Once the file encryption is completed, GILLETTE ransomware also encrypts its own malicious components and appends the “.GILLETTE” extension to each one of the encrypted files and then releases a text file named “Decrypt DATA.txt” which contains the following message:
“All your important files are encrypted
There is only one way to get your files back: contact with us, pay, and get decryptor software.
We accept Bitcoin
You have Your personal identifier, write it in letter when contact with us.
Also you can decrypt 1 file for test, its guarantee what we can decrypt your files.
Do not rename encrypted files.
Do not try to decrypt using third party software, it may cause permanent data loss.
For decrypt your data write to email
Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org
and tell us your unique ID – ID-[REDACTED]”
Based on its ransom note, victims must contact the given email address (email@example.com) and pay the ransom. However, doing so is definitely not advised as these crooks might end up not giving you the decryptor after you pay the ransom. And besides there are other alternative ways you can try to recover your files without spending any money.
How is the malicious payload of GILLETTE ransomware distributed online?
Creators of GILLETTE ransomware just like most ransomware developers, uses malicious spam email campaigns in spreading this crypto-virus online. These malware-laden emails are often disguised to make it seem like the email was sent by some legitimate and well-known company or group to trick users into opening the email and downloading the attachment. Thus, you must always be cautious of downloading email attachments no matter who sent them.
Terminate GILLETTE ransomware from your computer with the help of the removal instructions provided below.
Step 1: the first thing you have to do is eliminate the processes of GILLETTE ransomware by opening the Task Manager. Just tap Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to launch the Task Manager.
Step 2: Next, go to the Processes tab and look for any suspicious-looking processes that could be related to GILLETTE ransomware and then right click on it and select End Process or End Task.
Step 3: Close the Task Manager and open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in “appwiz.cpl” and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 4: Look for dubious programs that might by related to GILLETTE ransomware and then Uninstall it/them.
Step 5: Close Control Panel and then tap Win + E to launch File Explorer.
Step 6: After opening File Explorer, navigate to the following directories below and look for GILLETTE ransomware’s malicious components such as Decrypt DATA.txt and [random].exe and other suspicious-looking files and then erase them all.
Step 7: Close the File Explorer.
Before you proceed to the next steps below, make sure that you are tech savvy enough to the point where you know exactly how to use and navigate your computer’s Registry. Keep in mind that any changes you make will highly impact your computer. To save you the trouble and time, you can just use Advanced System Repair, this system tool is proven to be safe and excellent enough that hackers won’t be able to hack into it. But if you can manage Windows Registry well, then by all means go on to the next steps.
Step 8: Tap Win + R to open Run and then type in regedit in the field and tap enter to pull up Windows Registry.
Step 9: Navigate to the listed paths below and look for the registry keys and sub-keys created by GILLETTE ransomware.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
- HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveTimeOut
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Step 10: Delete the registry keys and sub-keys created by GILLETTE ransomware.
Step 11: Close the Registry Editor.
Step 12: Empty your Recycle Bin.
Try to restore your computer to its previous state using System Restore
If you have recently created a System Restore point prior to getting the dxgmms2.sys Blue Screen error, then you need to perform System Restore first before you further troubleshoot the problem as it might help in resolving the Blue Screen error. Refer to the steps below to perform System Restore.
- First, press the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- After that, type in “sysdm.cpl” in the field and tap Enter.
- Next, go to the System Protection tab then click the System Restore button. This will open a new window where you have to select your preferred System Restore point.
- After that, follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process and then restart your computer and check if the problem is fixed or not.
Once you’re done executing the steps given above, you need to continue the removal process of GILLETTE ransomware using a reliable program like Advanced System Repair. How? Follow the advanced removal steps below.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.