Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Oblivion ransomware? And how does it execute its attack?
Oblivion ransomware, also referred to as “Scarab-Oblivion” ransomware, is a new variant of the Scarab ransomware. This new Scarab variant uses the .OBLIVION extension in marking the files it encrypts. This new variant enters the system in a typical way- via corrupted spam email attachments. As soon as it enters the system, it alters a couple of system settings to allow the crypto-malware to load itself in every Windows boot up. After that it will look for files to encrypt by scanning the entire drive of the infected system. According to security experts, it might encrypt files with these extensions:
.3dm, .3g2, .3gp, .7zip, .aaf, .accdb, .aep, .aepx, .aet, .ai, .aif, .as, .as3, .asf, .asp, .asx, .avi, .bmp, .c, .class, .cpp, .cs, .csv, .dat, .db, .dbf, .doc, .docb, .docm, .docx, .dot, .dotm, .dotx, .dwg, .dxf, .efx, .eps, .fla, .flv, .gif, .h, .idml, .iff, .indb, .indd, .indl, .indt, .inx, .jar, .java, .jpeg, .jpg, .js, .m3u, .m3u8, .m4u, .max, .mdb, .mid, .mkv, .mov, .mp3, .mp4, .mpa, .mpeg, .mpg, .msg, .pdb, .pdf, .php, .plb, .pmd, .png, .pot, .potm, .potx, .ppam, .ppj, .pps, .ppsm, .ppsx, .ppt, .pptm, .pptx, .prel, .prproj, .ps, .psd, .py, .ra, .rar, .raw, .rb, .rtf, .sdf, .sdf, .ses, .sldm, .sldx, .sql, .svg, .swf, .tif, .txt, .vcf, .vob, .wav, .wma, .wmv, .wpd, .wps, .xla, .xlam, .xll, .xlm, .xls, .xlsb, .xlsm, .xlsx, .xlt, .xltm, .xltx, .xlw, .xml, .xqx, .xqx, .zip
After the encryption process, Oblivion ransomware appends the .OBLIVION extension to each one of the files and release a ransom note in a text file named “OBLIVION DECRYPTION INFORMATION.txt” containing this content:
“YOUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED!
Your personal ID
Your documents, photos, databases, save games and other important data was encrypted.
Data recovery the necessary decryption tool. To get the decryption tool, should send an email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Or telegram us:
The letter must include Your personal ID (see the beginning of this document).
In the proof we have decryption tool, you can send us 1 file for test decryption.
Next, you need to pay for the decryption tool.
In the response letter, You will receive the address of Bitcoin wallet which you need to perform the transfer of funds.
If you have no bitcoins
* Create Bitcoin purse: hxxps://blockchain.info
* Buy Bitcoin in a convenient way
hxxps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin (the instruction for beginners)
– It doesn’t make sense to complain of us and to arrange a hysterics.
– Complaints having blocked e-mail, you deprive a possibility of the others, to decipher the computers.
Other people at whom computers are also ciphered you deprive of the ONLY hope to decipher. FOREVER.
– Just contact us, we will stipulate conditions of interpretation of files and available payment,
in a friendly situation
– When money transfer is confirmed, You will receive the decrypter file for Your computer.
* Do not attempt to remove a program or run the anti-virus tools
* Attempts to decrypt the files will lead to loss of Your data
* Decoders other users is incompatible with Your data, as each user unique encryption key”
How is Oblivion ransomware disseminated online?
Terminate Oblivion ransomware from your system by following the removal guide below as well as the advanced steps that follow.
Step 1: Tap the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys to open a menu and then expand the Shutdown options which is right next to the power button.
Step 2: After that, tap and hold the Shift key and then click on Restart.
Step 3: And in the Troubleshoot menu that opens, click on the Advanced options and then go to the Startup settings.
Step 4: Click on Restart and tap F4 to select Safe Mode or tap F5 to select Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 5: After your PC has successfully rebooted, tap Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager.
Step 6: Go to the Processes tab and look for any suspicious-looking processes that could be related to Oblivion ransomware and then end their processes.
Step 7: Exit the Task Manager and open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 8: Look Oblivion Ransomware and then uninstall it.
Step 9: Close Control Panel and tap Win + E keys to open File Explorer.
Step 10: Navigate to the following locations and look for the malicious components created by Oblivion ransomware like OBLIVION DECRYPTION INFORMATION.txt and make sure to delete them all.
- %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
Step 11: Close the File Explorer.
Before you proceed to the next steps below, make sure that you are tech savvy enough to the point where you know exactly how to use and navigate your computer’s Registry. Keep in mind that any changes you make will highly impact your computer. To save you the trouble and time, you can just use Restoro this system tool is proven to be safe and excellent enough that hackers won’t be able to hack into it. But if you can manage Windows Registry well, then, by all means, go on to the next steps.
Step 12: Tap Win + R to open Run and then type in regedit in the field and tap enter to pull up Windows Registry.
Step 13: Navigate to the listed paths below and look for the registry keys and sub-keys created by Oblivion ransomware.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
- HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\
Step 14: Delete the registry keys and sub-keys created by Oblivion ransomware.
Step 15: Close the Registry Editor and empty your Recycle Bin.
Try to recover your encrypted files using the Shadow Volume copies
Restoring your encrypted files using Windows’ Previous Versions feature will only be effective if Oblivion ransomware hasn’t deleted the shadow copies of your files. But still, this is one of the best and free methods there is, so it’s definitely worth a shot.
To restore the encrypted file, right-click on it and select Properties, a new window will pop-up, then proceed to Previous Versions. It will load the file’s previous version before it was modified. After it loads, select any of the previous versions displayed on the list like the one in the illustration below. And then click the Restore button.
To ensure the removal of Oblivion ransomware from your system including the malicious components it has created on your system, follow the advanced steps below.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.