Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Smumi.club? Smumi.club is a malicious website that displays a pop-up saying “Add Extension to Leave” forcing the users to install an unwanted Google Chrome browser extension just so they can exit the website. This website is associated with malware. However, being rerouted to this website could mean something; your computer could be infected with some threat. It could be an adware-type or potentially unwanted program running on your computer that results to you being redirected to malicious websites like Smumi.club. Usually, you are redirected to this site whenever you visit crack, keygen or adult entertainment sites. This malware works behind your back. It makes changes to your computer without you knowing. It can hijack your default search engine, display pop-up ads and other nuisance while you are browsing the internet.
One thing is for sure, this malware does not need your permission to get into your computer. Like stated above, the Smumi.club has many tricks up its sleeve to trick you into adding the malicious extension on your browser. Malwares like this are often distributed through free file-sharing websites which offers free software that are bundled. The infection could be added on the package you installed, thus, infecting your computer. That’s why it is very important to pay attention whenever you are installing a free and bundled software. You should opt for the Custom/Advanced option in the Setup Wizard. Don’t rush installing a software especially if you got it for free because usually there really is a catch like Smumi.club, and what a catch it turned out to be. Not to mention it makes changes to your Windows Registry as well making it even harder to remove. No need to panic though, we have prepared a detailed set of instructions on how to get rid of this pesky malicious program below.
Removing Smumi.club from your computer:
Step 1: It is best to reboot your computer into Safe Mode.
Step 2: You have to track Smumi.club down your computer’s memory. To do so, go to Windows Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc simultaneously.
Step 3: Review all the processes thoroughly and look for suspicious ones that can be related to Smumi.club. Right-click on the processes, then click Open File Location and scan them using a powerful and trusted antivirus like SpyRemover Pro. After opening their folders, end their processes and delete their folders. If the virus scanner fails to detect something that you know is suspicious, don’t hesitate to delete it.
Step 4: Reveal hidden files in your computer.
- Open any folder.
- Click the Organize button located at the upper-left side of the pane.
- Select Folder and Search Options.
- Go to the View tab.
- Select Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide protected operating system files.
- Click Apply and then OK.
Step 5: Locate Smumi.club or any related names in the Windows Registry. (Before you proceed, just a friendly reminder; if you are not well-versed with computer especially with delicate programs such as the Windows Registry, then we highly suggest seeking the help of someone expert in the field. Navigating and making modifications on your Windows Registry creates a big impact on your computer, so any mistake could lead to bigger trouble.)
- Press the Windows button + R to open Windows Registry.
- Type Regedit in the dialog box.
- Navigate to these directories:
- Before you make modifications in the Registry, it is better if you create a backup copy of the file through Export to save it to a different location.
- Delete the display Name: [RANDOM]
- Open your file explorer and navigate to %APPDATA% folder and delete the malicious executable file.
Step 6: Clean your Hosts to avoid unwanted browser redirect. To open Hosts, navigate to %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
Hosts determine if your computer is hacked. If there are foreign IP addresses on your computer connected to your computer, then you are most definitely hacked.
Step 7: Remove traces of Smumi.club from your browsers.
- Open Google Chrome’s menu by pressing Alt + F
- Select Settings
- Select Extensions
- Look for the club or any related extension and click on the trash bin icon.
- Reset Google Chrome by deleting the current user to make sure no traces of Smumi.club is left behind like the one illustrated below:
- After that, go to Google Chrome’s Properties.
- And then go to Shortcuts.
- Delete club or anything after .exe
- Click OK.
- Close Google Chrome and Navigate to:
C:/Users/!!!!USER NAME!!!!/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data
- Look for the folder named Default and rename it to Backup Default.
- Restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox’s menu by pressing Ctrl + Shift + A simultaneously.
- Disable the unwanted extension Smumi.club.
- Go to Help.
- And then Troubleshoot information.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button.
- Click the Gear icon located at the upper-right corner.
- Click on Internet Options.
- Go to Toolbars and Extensions.
- Disable the unknown extensions from Smumi.club or any suspicious extensions.
- Select the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- Restart Internet Explorer.
Step 8: Fix the damage done by the malware Smumi.club modifying your Network Connections.
- Open the start menu by clicking the Windows button and search for Network Connections using the search box and hit Enter.
- Right-click on your Network Adapter, go to Properties, Internet Protocol Version 4 (ICP/IP), then click Properties.
- The DNS line will be set to Obtain DNS server automatically.
- Select Advanced on the DNS tab, and if there is anything there, remove it and click OK.