Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Wave-abstract.com? And how does it work?
Wave-abstract.com is a browser extension that works as a bogus search engine that could take over browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, etc. It supposedly allows users to change the design of their homepage with some abstract wallpaper. It may look like a nice-looking browser extension and may appeal to many users but security experts categorized this browser extension both as a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program (PUP) which would do nothing good to the affected browser.
Although many users install this extension themselves, there are also instances when this extension can infiltrate computers without users’ consent. Such trait is not uncommon for browser hijackers. Upon its installation, Wave-abstract.com will alter the affected browser’s home page, search provider, and even the new tab URL. The worst thing is that it wouldn’t be easy for you to undo the changes made by this hijacker. The good thing is this post will help you erase Wave-abstract.com from your browsers for good.
Some users may not mind the changes in the browser’s settings much but despite how insignificant these changes may be, it could greatly affect one’s browsing experience negatively. One of the negative effects of having this browser hijacker is that it will constantly bombard your browsing session with sponsored content on any website you go to. Some of the sponsored content such as ads, in-text links and banners could take you to suspicious web pages that may try to get your information or get you to install some malicious program. To simply put it, you’re personal information is at risk not to mention that you’re also exposing yourself to cyber threats when you continue using Wave-abstract.com.
How does Wave-abstract.com spread?
Wave-abstract.com enters your computer along with other programs contained in a software bundle. This hijacker is added as an optional component in a free software package which when installed using only the quick setup, will install all the programs in the bundle, Wave-abstract.com included. To prevent such thing from happening in the future, make sure that you opt for the Custom or Advanced setup when you install a free software package as it allows you to get rid of any extra programs in the bundle and only install the primary program you want.
To erase Wave-abstract.com from your PC, refer to the removal guide prepared below.
Step1. Close all the browsers infected with Wave-abstract.com. If you’re having a hard time closing them, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step2. After you open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the infected browser’s process and end it.
Step3. Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for Wave-abstract.com or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Select “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- Click the More actions button next to the hijacker and click Remove.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Step4. Open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step5. Look for any suspicious program that is affiliated with Wave-abstract.com and then Uninstall it.
Step6. Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step7. Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to Wave-abstract.com and delete it/them.
Step8. Close the File Explorer.
Step9. Empty your Recycle Bin.
To make sure that nothing is amiss and that Wave-abstract.com is completely removed from your computer, follow the advanced steps below.
Perform a full system scan using SpyRemover Pro. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in explorer http://www.fixmypcfree.com/install/spyremoverpro
A single space must be in between explorer and http. Click OK.
- A dialog box will be displayed by Internet Explorer. Click Run to begin downloading the program. The installation will start automatically once a download is done.
- Click OK to launch it.
- Run SpyRemover Pro and perform a full system scan.
- After all the infections are identified, click REMOVE ALL.
- Register the program to protect your computer from future threats.