Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is MediaTab.TV? And how does it function?
MediaTab.TV, also known as Search.mediatab.tv, is a deceptive search engine that offers users “convenient web and streaming videos search. Although this program looks legitimate and also offers users links to online TV-related and other popular websites, don’t be fooled s it is actually a browser hijacker in disguise. Apart from being browser hijacker, it is also categorized as a PUP or potentially unwanted program as it could cause security and privacy-related issues.
Moreover, even though MediaTab.TV looks like an appealing search engine, that grants you access to video streaming networks like Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, as well as other media sites like Spotify and social media sites like Facebook or Twitter. And if you think that this program could generate more improved search results, you’re wrong as it actually delivers modified search results where you could find more sponsored content than the actual related information to your search query or keywords. According to researchers, this program uses the Plus network database for delivering search queries but it’s actually not a secure domain which makes MediaTab.TV even more questionable. Needless to say, there is no need for you to keep using this program if it brings nothing but unreliable search results and potential privacy issues.
How is MediaTab.TV distributed online?
MediaTab.TV does not have an official website but it was found being distributed in the Chrome web store. Despite this being the case, it does not make it any less of a threat to users. In addition, it also spreads in software bundles as one of the extra components. You need to opt for the Advanced or Custom installation setting when you install these software packages as it lets you remove any extra components added to the bundle.
Use the removal steps laid out below to get rid of MediaTab.TV from your computer.
Step 1: The first thing you need to do to delete MediaTab.TV is to open the Control Panel. To do so, tap the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 2: Look for any suspicious program that is affiliated with MediaTab.TV and then Uninstall it.
Step 3: Close all the browsers infected with MediaTab.TV. If you’re having a hard time closing them, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 4: After you open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the infected browser’s process and end it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the host’s file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries containing MediaTab.TV.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for MediaTab.TV or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Select “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- Click the More actions button next to the hijacker and click Remove.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Step 7: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 8: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated with browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 9: Close the File Explorer.
Step 10: Empty the Recycle Bin.
Follow the advanced instructions below to ensure the removal of MediaTab.TV as well as all the file residues it left behind using a trusted program named Restoro.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.