Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Advanced System Repair to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is My Movie Finder? And how does it function?
My Movie Finder is a browser extension that’s supposed to give users access t movie reviews, screening times as well as ticket information. This seems to be a great tool for users who are constantly looking for movie-related information. This browser extension is designed to work on the Google Chrome browser. This program may seem useful and legitimate as it even contains quick links to popular websites like Facebook, Instagram, Gmail, YouTube, Yahoo Mail and other sites. However, before you install this program, you need to consider the fact that it is designed to modify the default new tab page of your Chrome browser to hxxp://my-movie-finder.com/newTab/newTab.html and show links to Fandango.com, Imdb.com, Amcthreatres.com, and Rottentomatoes.com.
My Movie Finder does not offer video streaming services since it is developed by InfoSpace Holdings LLC, formerly InfoSpace LLC – a company known to get their profit from delivering targeted ads to users. Unsurprisingly, My Movie Finder delivers dozens of ads to its users, which is the main reason why it is considered as an adware and PUP. Another thing you need to beware of about this dubious program is that it could track your activities online so it can gather your non-personally identifiable information. Such information includes your browsing history, OS version, websites you frequently visit and more so it can deliver more targeted and customized ads.
Moreover, this program also includes a customized search engine which shows results from Bing. Note that the search results it displays can’t be trusted as they are modified and mostly consist of sponsored content from third parties. Thus, there’s really nothing helpful about this program and if you are constantly looking for movie-related information, there are other alternative programs that you can use that are safe, unlike My Movie Finder.
How does My Movie Finder spread online?
Use the set of instructions prepared below to get rid of My Movie Finder from your computer.
Step 1: Launch the Google Chrome browser and click the wrench icon. Afterward, click on Tools from the drop-down menu and select Extensions.
Step 2: Under the Extensions tab, select My Movie Finder extension and other suspicious browser extensions related to it and then click on the Trash icon.
Step 3: Click on Remove button from the confirmation dialog box.
Step 4: Reset Google Chrome. To do that, click the three stripes icon located at the upper-right corner of your screen. And then select Settings.
Step 5: under Settings, look for Show advanced settings at the bottom of the page and click on it.
Step 6: Then click on the Reset browser settings button.
Step 7: After that, a dialog box pops up, click the Reset button to Reset Chrome.
Step 8: After you reset Chrome, enable the Phishing and Malware Protection in Chrome to prevent ad-supported programs like My Movie Finder from infecting your computer again in the future. To do that, click Settings once again.
Step 9: Select the Show advanced settings again.
Step 10: Go to the Privacy section and check the Enable phishing and malware protection option.
Step 11: Restart Google Chrome.
Step 12: Tap the Win + R keys to open Run and then type in appwiz.cpl to open Control Panel to uninstall any suspicious program related to the adware.
Step 13: Look for My Movie Finder under the list of installed programs. Once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 14: Close the Control Panel and tap the Win + E keys to open File Explorer. Navigate to the following directories and look for the hijacker’s installer like the software package it came with as well as other suspicious files and delete them.
Step 15: Close the File Explorer and empty the Recycle Bin.
Step 16: Edit your Hosts File
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the host’s file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries containing My Movie Finder.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
To completely get rid of My Movie Finder and any files it may have created in your computer upon its installation, you need to use Advanced System Repair – simply follow the steps below on how to use it.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.