Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Advanced System Repair to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Search.memetab.com? And how does it work?
Search.memetab.com is a dubious search engine. This suspicious program is presented as a useful browser extension for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari and other browsers. As you most probably know, internet memes originated way back in the early 2000s and has since become a viral phenomenon among users. There are even websites like 9GAG or 4chan that has made these memes even more appealing to users. And with the increasing number of visitors on these sites, it becomes apparent that may users really eat up these virtually-transmitted cultural symbols. Thus, it does not come off as a surprise when various companies try to get this kind of popularity and increase their revenue like the developers of the Search.memetab.com.
Search.memetab.com supposedly helps users in browsing memes directly from their browsers. The instant it is installed on a computer, it quickly modifies the settings of the browsers so that the each time users browse the web, they’ll be forced to use Search.memetab.com. However, upon the analysis of the program it was found that it is actually both a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program that aims to generate revenue while redirecting users to its affiliated websites and deliver them unreliable search results. Aside from showing you modified search results, this unwanted program can also track your online activities to collect non-personally identifiable information like IP address, OS version, search queries, geo-location, browsing history and other information. The information gathered is used and processed to generate more customized and personalized results. Aside from that, the information might also be shared with third parties. All things considered, Search.memetab.com is definitely a threat to your privacy.
How is Search.memetab.com distributed?
Search.memetab.com is distributed using software bundles where it is added as an additional component of a main program. This kind of distribution technique is nothing new and is usually the go-to method for most unwanted programs and browser hijackers like Search.memetab.com. So when you install this kind of software package using only the quick or standard setup, you might also install unwanted programs. To avoid that from happening in the future, you have to use the Custom or Advanced installation setup as it allows you to discard any added extra programs in the package.
To get rid of Search.memetab.com easily, follow the removal instructions prepared below.
Step 1: The first thing you have to do to get rid of Search.memetab.com from your computer is to close all the affected browsers manually. If you find it hard to do so, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 2: After opening the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the affected browser’s process and end it.
Step 3: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now switch to the Advanced tab and click the Reset button.
- Then check the box for “Delete personal settings” and then click Reset again.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for Search.hyourweatherinfonow.com or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Click on Advanced.
- After that, click the Reset button to reset Google Chrome.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section.
- Tap Alt + H to access Help.
- Next, select “Troubleshooting information” and click “Refresh Firefox” at the top of the page.
- Now click “Refresh Firefox” again to confirm the reset.
Step 4: Open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 5: Look for Search.memetab.com among the list of installed programs and any other suspicious program could be affiliated to it and then Uninstall it.
Step 6: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 7: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files related to Search.memetab.com and delete it/them.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
Step 9: Empty the Recycle Bin.
You have to ensure that Search.memetab.com is completely removed from your computer, along with the files it has created and you can do that by following the advanced steps below.
Perform a full system scan using SpyRemover Pro. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in explorer http://www.fixmypcfree.com/install/spyremoverpro
A single space must be in between explorer and http. Click OK.
- A dialog box will be displayed by Internet Explorer. Click Run to begin downloading the program. Installation will start automatically once download is done.
- Click OK to launch it.
- Run SpyRemover Pro and perform a full system scan.
- After all the infections are identified, click REMOVE ALL.
- Register the program to protect your computer from future threats.