Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is VigLink? And how does it function?
VigLink is a legitimate advertising service utilized by several bloggers and publishers. This service allows them to monetize from advertising online. However, this service is also being taken advantage of adware developers as they abuse this service and flood users’ browsers with tons of sponsored content of all kind – from pop-ups, banners to in-text links, and so on.
If you are one of the users infected with this adware that is linked to cdn.viglink.com, then your browser might show the following pop-ups or notifications every time you browse the web:
- “Transferring data from VigLink.com”
- “Connecting to VigLink.com”
- “Loading cdn.viglink.com”
- “Ads by cdn.viglink.com”
- “Waiting for VigLink.com”
If you keep seeing the aforementioned alerts or notifications when you surf the internet, it’s definitely clear that your computer is infected with the VigLink adware. Although adware programs like this one are not considered to be dangerous, it can compromise security and even your personal data. It can redirect you to suspicious and dangerous websites like phishing websites, websites that offer fake software or software updates, gambling sites, and many more.
In addition, this VigLink adware could also track and monitor your browsing activities so it can gather your information such as the OS version of your computer, IP address, a website you often visit, ads clicked, browsing history and much other information related to your browsing. Needless to say, you need to delete VigLink from your computer before it can do any harm.
How is VigLink disseminated online?
VigLink is disseminated via freeware and shareware. Meaning to say, VigLink uses the most common distribution method just like a typical ad-supported program. To avoid unwanted installation of these kinds of programs, you have to select the Advanced or Custom installation setup when you install any software bundle.
Use the following removal instructions so you can successfully delete the VigLink adware from your computer.
Step 1: The first thing you have to do to get rid of VigLink from your computer is to close all the affected browsers manually. If you find it hard to do so, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 2: Once you’ve pulled up the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the affected browser’s process and end it.
Step 3: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now switch to the Advanced tab and click the Reset button.
- Then check the box for “Delete personal settings” and then click Reset again.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for VigLink or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Click on Advanced.
- After that, click the Reset button to reset Google Chrome.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section.
- Tap Alt + H to access Help.
- Next, select “Troubleshooting information” and click “Refresh Firefox” at the top of the page.
- Now click “Refresh Firefox” again to confirm the reset.
Step 4: Open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 5: Look for VigLink among the list of installed programs and any other suspicious program could be affiliated to it and then Uninstall it.
Step 6: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 7: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files related to VigLink and delete it/them.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
Step 9: Empty the Recycle Bin.
Getting rid of VigLink won’t be enough so you have to follow the advanced removal guide on how to use Restoro prepared below.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.