Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is SimplyWatch? And how does it work?
SimplyWatch is an ad-supported program that claims to be a leading media player. Aside from that, this adware program claims to be based on “ffmpeg the leading Audio/Video codec library”. However, despite its legitimate-looking appearance, SimplyWatch is categorized both as an adware and a potentially unwanted program. This adware is used in promoting other questionable video players and even updates. It was also found to be spreading with the use of malicious Java scripts that forces users to install this dubious media player on their PCs.
Once you install SimplyWatch or if it manages to sneak into your PC without your knowledge, this unwanted program will execute a couple of malicious activities on your PC such as:
- Your browser will be filled with tons of sponsored content like banners, pop-ups, offers to install other video players or updates, coupons and more.
- Some of the sponsored content it displays will take you to highly unsecure and unsafe websites that could record your personal information or harm your PC.
- Your browser will experience lags or it may completely freeze.
The malicious activities above are just the tip of the iceberg as SimplyWatch can also collect your information by spying on your internet activities like ads you clicked, websites you visit, search queries and many more.
How does SimplyWatch spread online?
SimplyWatch spreads through deceptive software marketing technique known as software bundling. It is a known fact that freeware and shareware developers often offer paid promotions by including browser extensions or add-ons, PC optimization tools, as well as media players in their program’s installers. It is no wonder that SimplyWatch spreads using this method as a lot of users downloaded software bundles to avoid paying for licensed software. If you really must, installing a software bundle should be done using the recommended setup which is the Custom or Advanced installation mode.
Erasing SimplyWatch wouldn’t be easy which is why you must carefully follow the given steps below to successfully remove it from your PC.
Step 1: Tap the keys, Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager.
Step 2: After you open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for SimplyWatch’s process and end it.
Step 3: Close the Task Manager and open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 4: Look for SimplyWatch and other suspicious programs that might be related to it and Uninstall them all.
Step 5: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 6: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated with SimplyWatch and delete it/them.
Step 7: Close the File Explorer.
Step 8: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for SimplyWatch or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Select “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- Click the More actions button next to the hijacker and click Remove.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Before you proceed to the next steps below, make sure that you are tech savvy enough to the point where you know exactly how to use and navigate your computer’s Registry. Keep in mind that any changes you make will highly impact your computer. To save you the trouble and time, you can just use PC Cleaner Pro, this system tool is proven to be safe and excellent enough that hackers won’t be able to hack into it. But if you can manage Windows Registry well, then, by all means, go on to the next steps.
Step 9: Tap Win + R to open Run and then type in regedit in the field and tap enter to pull up Windows Registry.
Step 10: Navigate to the following path:
Step 11: Delete the registry keys and sub-keys created by SimplyWatch.
Step 12: Close the Registry Editor and empty your Recycle Bin.
To make sure that nothing is amiss and that SimplyWatch is completely removed from your computer, follow the advanced steps below.
Perform a full system scan using SpyRemover Pro. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in explorer http://www.fixmypcfree.com/install/spyremoverpro
A single space must be in between explorer and http. Click OK.
- A dialog box will be displayed by Internet Explorer. Click Run to begin downloading the program. The installation will start automatically once a download is done.
- Click OK to launch it.
- Run SpyRemover Pro and perform a full system scan.
- After all the infections are identified, click REMOVE ALL.
- Register the program to protect your computer from future threats.