Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Advanced System Repair to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Convert-myfiles.link? And how does it work?
Convert-myfiles.link is a program that works as a browser extension that claims to provide users with multiple benefits by allowing them to convert files from or to PDF format, as well as compress files, merging them, splitting and editing of various file types. It is developed by FirstGate Mobile Limited – a company based in Hong Kong. No matter how useful this program may be, it still does not change the fact that it is a browser hijacker and PUP. This dubious program can enter your system unnoticed and makes some unsolicited alterations to browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox, leaving you with not much of a choice but to use it whenever you browse the web.
Once you use this program, you will suddenly notice a bunch of ads that pop up every now and then. Such adverts are shown in various forms like deals, banners, pop-ups, offers, coupons, etc. You need to be cautious though as some of the ads it displays can redirect you to equally suspicious sites that may also have some malware in it or it could redirect you to sites like phishing websites that may try to get your sensitive information. This kind of trait is common for browser hijackers and clearly poses a threat to both your security and privacy.
How does Convert-myfiles.link travel the web?
Convert-myfiles.link travels the web as one of the additional components in a software package. To prevent this kind of bedroom, it important that you use the Advanced or Custom setup so you can untangle any kind of suspicious programs that are included in the package.
Make use of the removal guide set below to get rid of Convert-myfiles.link from your system.
Step 1: The first thing you have to do to get rid of Convert-myfiles.link from your computer is to close all the affected browsers manually. If you find it hard to do so, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 2: Once you’ve pulled up the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the affected browser’s process and end it.
Step 3: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for Convert-myfiles.link or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Click on Advanced.
- After that, click the Reset button to reset Google Chrome.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section.
- Tap Alt + H to access Help.
- Next, select “Troubleshooting information” and click “Refresh Firefox” at the top of the page.
- Now click “Refresh Firefox” again to confirm the reset.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now switch to the Advanced tab and click the Reset button.
- Then check the box for “Delete personal settings” and then click Reset again.
Step 4: Open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 5: Look for Convert-myfiles.link among the list of installed programs and any other suspicious program could be affiliated to it and then Uninstall it.
Step 6: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 7: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files related to Convert-myfiles.link and delete it/them.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
Step 9: Empty the Recycle Bin.
Uninstalling Convert-myfiles.link browser hijacker won’t be enough so you have to follow the advanced removal guide prepared below.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.