Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Advanced System Repair to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Counterflix? And how does it function?
Counterflix Ads or Counterflix is a suspicious program promoted as a reliable DNS service tool that modifies the DNS settings of your computer. However, it is actually categorized as an adware program and potentially unwanted program as it initiates never-ending ads on every browser on the computer. Even though it is advertised as a reliable tool, there are actually various reports about unwanted activities caused by this ad-supported program. One of the most notable unwanted activities this adware does is the constant appearance of pop-up ads as well as a problem in removing this program from the affected PC.
On first glance, you might think that Counterflix is a useful program because it has a legitimate-looking interface and it also allows users to access sites that are prohibited for users living in a certain region. Meaning to say, it lets users bypass geographical restrictions. It seems like this program was able to fool many users as it has been installed by hundreds of users. It typically works as a phone book that lets users transfer the usual name address, for instance, www.netfix.com into an IP address. In addition, this program also offers its own DNS servers that allow users to access any website they want. Know that once this unwanted program enters your system, you will be bombarded with tons of annoying ads whenever you browse the web. Needless to say, this unwanted program’s aim is to generate profit by providing users with sponsored content, some which are suspicious-looking ones that could redirect you to equally suspicious sites which may be hosting some tech support scam alerts, other unwanted program or worse, malware.
How do Counterflix Ads roam the web?
Counterflix Ads or Counterflix roams the web through free sharing sites. This adware program also roams the web together with other freeware or shareware programs. This means that it is bundled with other programs in a software bundle. To avoid unwanted programs from getting installed in your PC, make sure that you always opt for the recommended installation setting which is the Custom or Advanced setup instead of the usual quick setup.
To remove Counterflix Ads from your computer, follow the instructions below which also includes steps on how to restore your DNS settings which Counterflix Ads have altered.
Step 1: Tap Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the Task Manager.
Step 2: After opening the Task Manager, locate Counterflix Ads’s process, right click on it and select End Task.
Step 3: Close the Task Manager and tap Win + R keys to launch Run. Once Run is pulled up, type in appwiz.cpl to open Control Panel.
Step 4: Under Control Panel, look for the list of installed programs and locate Counterflix Ads. Once you find it, uninstall it.
Step 5: Exit Control Panel and then tap Win + R again to open Run, in the Run box, type in ncpa.cpl to open Network Connections. Right click on Network Connection and select Properties.
Step 6: After that, mark the Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPvv4) and then click the Properties button.
Step 7: Next, click the General tab and then mark “Use the following DNS server addresses”. Enter your desired DNS, i.e. 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 and click OK.
Step 8: After that, tap Win + E keys to open File Explorer.
Step 9: Navigate to the following path and look for Counterflix Ads’s installer or the software bundle it came with and then delete it.
Step 10: Close the File Explorer.
Step 11: Reset all your browsers back to their default state.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now switch to the Advanced tab and click the Reset button.
- Then check the box for “Delete personal settings” and then click Reset again.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for Search.hyourweatherinfonow.com or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Click on Advanced.
- After that, click the Reset button to reset Google Chrome.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section.
- Tap Alt + H to access Help.
- Next, select “Troubleshooting information” and click “Refresh Firefox” at the top of the page.
- Now click “Refresh Firefox” again to confirm the reset.
Step 12: Finally, empty the Recycle Bin.
After you got rid of Counterflix Ads, follow the advanced guide below to get rid of it’s the files it has created.
Perform a full system scan using SpyRemover Pro. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in explorer http://www.fixmypcfree.com/install/spyremoverpro
A single space must be in between explorer and http. Click OK.
- A dialog box will be displayed by Internet Explorer. Click Run to begin downloading the program. The installation will start automatically once a download is done.
- Click OK to launch it.
- Run SpyRemover Pro and perform a full system scan.
- After all the infections are identified, click REMOVE ALL.
- Register the program to protect your computer from future threats.