Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Geeker.com? And how does it work?
Geeker.com is a misleading website that claims to provide users with an unlimited movie and video streaming services. However, they are not free as you have to avail the site’s membership plans first before you can stream any movies or videos. According to security experts, Geeker.com can’t be trusted as it is actually a fraudulent website used for phishing which is why it is categorized as a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and adware.
So if you ever come across this fraudulent website don’t be fooled by its false advertisement. In fact, there are already many users who reported that this website is nothing but a scam as users claimed that they were tricked into giving their credit card information and that they are being charged for some services and another dollar for what they claimed it for “charity”.
How does Geeker.com circulate the web?
Geeker.com circulates the web via ads. Security experts noticed that this shady website used tons of suspicious ads and other advertising techniques just to get users to visit Geeker.com. On the other hand, you can also end up visiting this site inadvertently especially if there’s an adware program installed in your computer that’s causing such redirects. Adware programs like Geeker.com are distributed using software bundles. Thus, it could infiltrate your computer even without your permission. To avoid such unwanted installation of PUPs, you need to opt for the Advanced or Custom setup whenever you install a program from a software bundle.
Refer to the instructions prepared below to get rid of Geeker.com from your computer.
Step 1: Start by opening the Task Manager by simply pressing the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys.
Step 2: Next, go to Processes and look for the affected browser’s process then right click on each one of them and select End Process or End Task to kill their processes.
Step 3: Then open the Control Panel. To do so, tap the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 4: Look for Geeker.com and any suspicious program and then Uninstall them.
Step 5: Close all the browsers affected by Geeker.com. If you’re having a hard time closing them, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 6: After you open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the infected browser’s process and end it.
Step 7: Edit your Hosts File
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the host’s file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries containing Geeker.com.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 8: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for Geeker.com or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Select “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- Click the More actions button next to the hijacker and click Remove.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Step 9: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 10: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to Geeker.com and delete it/them.
Step 11: Close the File Explorer.
Step 12: Empty the Recycle Bin.
Follow the advanced instructions below to ensure the removal of Geeker.com using Restoro as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now”button.