Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Advanced System Repair to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Scarab Red ransomware? And how does it execute its attack?
Scarab Red ransomware is yet another new variant from the Scarab ransomware group. This was first spotted at the beginning of July 2018 right along with other Scarab variants. According to security experts, based on the reports, it seems to mostly target users from Poland. It uses the .red extension in marking its encrypted files. But before it starts the encryption, it will make modifications in the infected PC first. The first thing it does is drop a malicious payload which will connect the system to a remote server. After that, it employs an information gathering module that will obtain data about the infected computer and the user. The information obtained is then sent to the remote server where Scarab Red gets more malicious files that are used to keep it from being discovered by any programs installed like antivirus programs.
Once all the modifications are applied, Scarab Red ransomware will begin encrypting files that are mostly user-generated using a sophisticated cryptography. It then adds the .red suffix to the encrypted files and releases a file named “HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILES.txt” which contains the following content:
All your files have been encrypted!
Don’t worry, you can return all your files!
If you want restore files write on e-mail:
Free decryption as guarantee!
Send me your ID and 1-2 small encrypted files(The total size of files must be less than 1Mb (non archived)) for free decryption.
After that, I’ll tell you the price for decryption all files.
After payment, we will send you the decryption tool that will decrypt all your files.
* Do not rename encrypted files.
* Do not try to decrypt your data using third party software, it may cause permanent data loss.
* Decryption of your files with the help of third parties may cause increased price
(they add their fee to our) or you can become a victim of a scam.
How to obtain Bitcoins?
* The easiest way to buy bitcoins is LocalBitcoins site. You have to register, click
‘Buy bitcoins’, and select the seller by payment method and price:
* Also you can find other places to buy Bitcoins and beginners guide here:
How does Scarab Red ransomware proliferate?
The same with other Scarab variants, developers of Scarab Red ransomware uses spam emails to proliferate this file-encrypting threat. Crooks behind this new malware strain attach an infected file with malicious scripts used to launch Scarab Red into the targeted computer. This is why it is advised to always take precautions in dealing with emails no matter who the sender is. It would also be better if you keep both your antivirus programs and operating system updated.
You have to obliterate Scarab Red ransomware from your computer ASAP. And for you to do that, you need to follow the given removal guide below carefully as well as the advanced removal guide that follows to ensure the removal of other malicious components.
Step 1: Tap the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys to open a menu and then expand the Shutdown options which is right next to the power button.
Step 2: After that, tap and hold the Shift key and then click on Restart.
Step 3: And in the Troubleshoot menu that opens, click on the Advanced options and then go to the Startup settings.
Step 4: Click on Restart and tap F4 to select Safe Mode or tap F5 to select Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 5: After your PC has successfully rebooted, tap Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager.
Step 6: Go to the Processes tab and look for any suspicious-looking processes that could be related to Scarab Red ransomware and then end their processes.
Step 7: Exit the Task Manager and open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 8: Look for any dubious programs from the list of installed programs that could be related to Scarab Red ransomware and then uninstall it/them.
Step 9: Close Control Panel and tap Win + E keys to open File Explorer.
Step 10: Navigate to the following locations and look for the malicious components created by Scarab Red ransomware like “HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILES.txt” and make sure to delete them all.
- %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
Step 11: Close the File Explorer.
Before you proceed to the next steps below, make sure that you are tech savvy enough to the point where you know exactly how to use and navigate your computer’s Registry. Keep in mind that any changes you make will highly impact your computer. To save you the trouble and time, you can just use Advanced System Repair this system tool is proven to be safe and excellent enough that hackers won’t be able to hack into it. But if you can manage Windows Registry well, then, by all means, go on to the next steps.
Step 12: Tap Win + R to open Run and then type in regedit in the field and tap enter to pull up Windows Registry.
Step 13: Navigate to the listed paths below and look for the registry keys and sub-keys created by Scarab Red ransomware.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
- HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\
Step 14: Delete the registry keys and sub-keys created by Scarab Red ransomware.
Step 15: Close the Registry Editor and empty the contents of the Recycle Bin.
To ensure the removal of Scarab Red ransomware from your system including the malicious components it has created on your system, follow the advanced steps below.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now”button.