Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Advanced System Repair to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Scarab-Walker ransomware? And how does it implement its attack?
Scarab-Walker ransomware is a new variant of the notorious Scarab ransomware group. This new variant uses adds the .JohnieWalker extension to the files it encrypt. Just like the other variants of Scarab ransomware, this one will begin to implement its attack once its malicious payload is executed in the system. From there, a few malicious files are also added in the system. These files are used to help Scarab-Walker ransomware in performing its attack in the system to make sure that nothing can interfere with its attack. It could also modify the entries in the Windows Registry so that it can run on every system boot. Once these changes are made, it will start to scan the computer looking for files to encrypt. It applies the AES military grade encryption in locking up the targeted files. After the encryption, it appends the .JohnieWalker extension on every encrypted file and drops a file named “HOW TO DECRYPT WALKER INFO.txt” containing this message:
YOUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED!
Your personal ID
Your documents, photos, databases, save games and other important data was encrypted.
Data recovery the necessary decryption tool. To get the decryption tool, should send an email to:
A letter must include Your personal ID (see the beginning of this document).
In the proof we have decryption tool, you can send us 1 file for test decryption.
Next, you need to pay for the decryption tool.
In response letter, You will receive the address of Bitcoin wallet which you need to perform the transfer of funds.
If you have no bitcoins
* Create Bitcoin purse: https://blockchain.info
* Buy Bitcoin in a convenient way
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin (the instruction for beginners)
– It doesn’t make sense to complain of us and to arrange a hysterics.
– Complaints having blocked e-mail, you deprive a possibility of the others, to decipher the computers.
Other people at whom computers are also ciphered you deprive of the ONLY hope to decipher. FOREVER.
– Just contact us, we will stipulate conditions of interpretation of files and available payment,
in a friendly situation
– When money transfer is confirmed, You will receive the decrypter file for Your computer.
* Do not attempt to remove a program or run the anti-virus tools
* Attempts to decrypt the files will lead to loss of Your data
* Decoders other users is incompatible with Your data, as each user unique encryption key
If you are one of the unfortunate users infected with this crypto-malware, paying the ransom is not the best and wisest way to deal with it as cybercrooks can’t be trusted including the ones who created Scarab-Walker ransomware. You must prioritize its removal first and then try out other alternatives to recover the affected files. Until then, you can use whatever backup copies you have of the encrypted files.
How does Scarab-Walker ransomware proliferate?
The same with other variants of Scarab ransomware, Scarab-Walker ransomware proliferate via spam emails with infected attachment. The infected attachment is usually a ZIP file, executable file and a document with macro scripts used to launch this crypto-malware into the system.
Obliterate Scarab-Walker ransomware from your system by following the removal guide below as well as the advanced steps that follow.
Step 1: Tap the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys to open a menu and then expand the Shutdown options which is right next to the power button.
Step 2: After that, tap and hold the Shift key and then click on Restart.
Step 3: And in the Troubleshoot menu that opens, click on the Advanced options and then go to the Startup settings.
Step 4: Click on Restart and tap F4 to select Safe Mode or tap F5 to select Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 6: Go to the Processes tab and look for any suspicious-looking processes that could be related to Scarab-Walker ransomware and then end their processes.
Step 7: Exit the Task Manager and open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 8: Look for Scarab-Walker Ransomware and other dubious program and then uninstall them.
Step 9: Close Control Panel and tap Win + E keys to open File Explorer.
Step 10: Navigate to the following locations and look for the malicious components created by Scarab-Walker ransomware like HOW TO DECRYPT WALKER INFO.txt and make sure to delete them all.
- %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
Step 11: Close the File Explorer.
Before you proceed to the next steps below, make sure that you are tech savvy enough to the point where you know exactly how to use and navigate your computer’s Registry. Keep in mind that any changes you make will highly impact your computer. To save you the trouble and time, you can just use Advanced System Repair this system tool is proven to be safe and excellent enough that hackers won’t be able to hack into it. But if you can manage Windows Registry well, then, by all means, go on to the next steps.
Step 12: Tap Win + R to open Run and then type in regedit in the field and tap enter to pull up Windows Registry.
Step 13: Navigate to the listed paths below and look for the registry keys and sub-keys created by Scarab-Walker ransomware.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
- HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\
Step 14: Delete the registry keys and sub-keys created by Scarab-Walker ransomware.
Step 15: Close the Registry Editor and empty your Recycle Bin.
To ensure the removal of Scarab-Walker ransomware from your system including the malicious components it has created on your system, follow the advanced steps below.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Widows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.