Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Gotoinstall.ru? And how does it function?
Gotoinstall.ru is presented as an Internet search engine by its developers which enhances internet browsing experience by producing improved search results. Some users are even fooled in using this search engine as it has a legitimate-looking interface however, it is nothing but a computer infection that belongs to the group of browser hijackers known to change the shortcuts of all your installed web browsers so that they will open the Gotoinstall.ru web page automatically every time you open any of your browsers. So if you are one of those unlucky users who got infected with this hijacker, then this article will show you how to remove it.
As you can see on the illustration above, Gotoinstall.ru contains a Google Custom Search where its developers earn revenue by displaying tons of sponsored contents. Meaning to say, its main goal is to generate revenue by displaying its users with a bunch of ads in all kinds such as pop-ups, links, banners, etc. A lot of problems will be experienced when you let Gotoinstall.ru stay on your computer. This hijacker injects tons of ads in the search results. Some of these ads can even lead you to suspicious web pages that might only bring potential harm to your computer. Aside from that, this hijacker is also capable of tracking your browsing activities to deliver even more customized and personalized ads,
Once your computer is infected with Gotoinstall.ru, you need to disconnect your computer from any internet connection as browser hijackers and potentially unwanted program, as they are capable of operating when they have access to the internet – in fact, browser hijackers are created to work only on the web which is the reason why you must refrain yourself from using your browsers until Gotoinstall.ru is removed from your computer.
How do you come across Gotoinstall.ru?
You can come across this browser hijacker when you install a freeware or shareware. Gotoinstall.ru is added as an optional component in a software bundle containing a freeware or shareware. When you install such bundles using only a quick setup, then it is no wonder why your computer is infected with Gotoinstall.ru. To avoid getting your computer hijacked, you must always go for the Custom or Advanced setup which is the recommended installation method for these kinds of packages – it lets you reveal all the hidden optional downloads in the bundle and lets you discard them by unmarking them from the package.
Follow the detailed instructions below to remove Gotoinstall.ru from your computer.
Step 1: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for Gotoinstall.ru or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Select “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- Click the More actions button next to the hijacker and click Remove.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Step 2: Open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 3: Look for any suspicious program that is affiliated with Gotoinstall.ru and then Uninstall it.
Step 4: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 5: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to Gotoinstall.ru and delete it/them.
Step 6: Close the File Explorer.
Step 7: Empty your Recycle Bin.
To make sure that nothing is amiss and that Gotoinstall.ru is completely removed from your computer, follow the advanced steps below.
Perform a full system scan using SpyRemover Pro. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOSscreen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Optionuse the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Boxwill show up.
- Type in explorer http://www.fixmypcfree.com/install/spyremoverpro
A single space must be in between explorer and http. Click OK.
- A dialog box will be displayed by Internet Explorer. Click Run to begin downloading the program. Installation will start automatically once download is done.
- Click OK to launch it.
- Run SpyRemover Pro and perform a full system scan.
- After all the infections are identified, click REMOVE ALL.
- Register the program to protect your computer from future threats.