Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Ultimate Popup Killer? And how does it work?
Ultimate Popup Killer is a program from Ultimatepopupkiller.com which is advertised as a free pop-up blocker for computers that are powered by a Windows OS. According to this program’s developers, Ultimate Popup Killer runs on the latest Windows OS as well as on older Windows 95 systems. Like mentioned, this program is advertised as a free program which is not entirely true as it also offers a paid version of the program that costs $12 and can be bought from Iprofitsystems.com/orders/order.php?prodid=upkiller. And upon further inspection, the payment page for the premium version of this program lacks valid HTTPS connection – meaning paying for this program won’t provide you with a secure connection and it may expose your credit card details to third parties who are monitoring incoming connections.
Take note that Ultimate Popup Killer is programmed to set Searchby.net, which is a browser hijacker, as your browser’s default home page and new tab. In other words, it allows browser hijacker called Searchby.net to hijack your browser’s settings. According to researchers, this hijacker only hijacks Internet Explorer browser. So you won’t be able to change your home page and new tab settings as long as Ultimate Popup Killer is installed in your computer. This program is designed in a way that your home page will be hold hostage unless you get rid of the program. What’s preposterous is that this program offers a way for you to restore your browser’s settings as long as you pay the $12 premium version of Ultimate Popup Killer through an unsafe and insecure payment page. Clearly, this program is nothing but crap and does not really help users who want to suppress any pop-up windows from appearing. In addition, Ultimate Popup Killer also makes modifications on your Windows Registry as soon as it is installed in the computer, making it difficult to get rid of.
How does Ultimate Popup Killer spread online?
Ultimate Popup Killer has an official website where users can download the free program. Its paid version also has its own site which is at Iprofitsystems.com/orders/order.php?prodid=upkiller. However, according to researchers, it is possible that this program also spreads among freeware and shareware in free sharing sites. Meaning to say, you can also find this program as an optional component bundled among other free programs in a software bundle. So it can get installed in your computer without you knowing if you choose the quick installation setup instead of the Custom or Advanced. Always keep in mind that whenever you install any kind of free program from free sharing sites, always do so using Custom or Advanced setup – that way, you can discard any additional programs added in the package and prevent them from getting installed.
Refer to the provide removal instructions below to uninstall Ultimate Popup Killer from your computer as well as the browser hijacker Searchby.net it has installed.
Step1. Open the Registry Editor, to do so, tap Win + R and type in regedit and then press enter.
Step2. Navigate to the following locations:
Step3. Look for the key named Ultimate Popup Killer v7.3_is1 from the locations given above and delete it.
Step4. After that go to the following location:
Step5. Look for the value name Start Page, right click on it and select Modify.
Step6. Replace the value data from http://searchby.net to your preferred web address, for instance, google.com and then click on OK.
Step7. Close the Registry Editor and open your Task Manager by tapping Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard.
Step8. Once the Task Manager is opened, go to the Processes tab and locate Ultimate Popup Killer’s process and end it.
Step9. Close the Task Manager and open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then tap Enter or click OK.
Step10. Look for Ultimate Popup Killer and any suspicious programs that might be related to it and then click on Uninstall.
Step11. Close Control Panel and then tap the Win + E keys to open File Explorer.
Step12. Navigate to the following directories separately:
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
- %USERPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
- %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
Step13. Look for the folders named Ultimate Popup Killer and delete each one of them as well as the Ultimate Popup Killer’s installer.
Step14. Close the File explorer and Empty your Recycle Bin.
After you got rid of Ultimate Popup Killer from your PC, follow the advanced guide below to get rid of the files it has created.
Perform a full system scan using SpyRemover Pro. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOSscreen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Optionuse the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Boxwill show up.
- Type in explorer http://www.fixmypcfree.com/install/spyremoverpro
A single space must be in between explorer and http. Click OK.
- A dialog box will be displayed by Internet Explorer. Click Run to begin downloading the program. Installation will start automatically once download is done.
- Click OK to launch it.
- Run SpyRemover Pro and perform a full system scan.
- After all the infections are identified, click REMOVE ALL.
- Register the program to protect your computer from future threats.