Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Advanced System Repair to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is ConvertDocsOnline? And how does it work?
ConvertDocsOnline is another browser toolbar created by Mindspark Interactive. It is supposed to convert documents and pictures through the new browser’s tab. However, it is discovered to be featuring suspicious behaviors – for one, it can sneak into a computer without it getting noticed by a user. On initial inspection, this program may seem to look like a legitimate one when in fact it’s a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program all rolled into one.
Following its infiltration, ConvertDocsOnline changes the new tab URL, default search engine and the home page to hp.myway.com. This hijacker is identical to other programs developed by Mindspark Interactive such as ConvertDocsOnline, EasyPackageTracker and more. ConvertDocsOnline has an official site and is also available in the Chrome Web Store. And it has the ability to read and change all the information on the websites you visit, manage your downloads, apps, extensions and themes. In addition, this toolbar also has the habit of constantly delivering users with tons of intrusive ads. These ads pop out of nowhere and can get really bothersome. This goes to show that this toolbar is after pay-per-click revenue which is common for browser hijackers.
Another worrisome feature of this program is that it gathers your browsing related information – from the geographic location obtained from your IP address, your browsing history, ads you’ve clicked, to the websites you often visit and so much more. The information collected is shared to third parties used to deliver targeted ads. So if you really value your privacy, keeping this program installed in your computer is not a wise idea. It would be better if you remove this toolbar as soon as you can as it exposes your computer to potential threats – that’s right, ConvertDocsOnline also shows signs of constant redirects to suspicious websites – which is why before it gets any worse, you have to remove it.
How does ConvertDocsOnline spread online?
ConvertDocsOnline is found on its official website as well as on the Chrome Web Store. However, security experts noted that it can also be obtained from free sharing sites which offer software bundles. This program can spread as an optional component in a freeware or shareware. Lots of users get tricked in installing browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs as they are barely informed about the additional third party downloads in the package. The best way to go about these kinds of packages is through Custom or Advanced setup instead of the usual quick and standard setup. With the Custom or Advanced setup, you can discard any additional programs added in the package – all you have to do is to deselect the programs by unmarking their checkboxes before you proceed with the installation.
Step 1: Tap Win + R keys to launch Run and then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter to open Control Panel.
Step 2: Look for any suspicious program that is affiliated with ConvertDocsOnline and then Uninstall it.
Step 3: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 4: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to ConvertDocsOnline and delete it/them.
Step 5: Close the File Explorer.
Step 6: Empty your Recycle Bin.
Step 7: Reset both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox back to their default settings.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for ConvertDocsOnline or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Select “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- Click the More actions button next to the hijacker and click Remove.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted toolbar.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
To make sure that nothing is amiss and that ConvertDocsOnline is completely removed from your computer, follow the advanced steps below.
Perform a full system scan using SpyRemover Pro. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOSscreen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Optionuse the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Boxwill show up.
- Type in explorer http://www.fixmypcfree.com/install/spyremoverpro
A single space must be in between explorer and http. Click OK.
- A dialog box will be displayed by Internet Explorer. Click Run to begin downloading the program. Installation will start automatically once download is done.
- Click OK to launch it.
- Run SpyRemover Pro and perform a full system scan.
- After all the infections are identified, click REMOVE ALL.
- Register the program to protect your computer from future threats.