Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Advanced System Repair to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is City Page Today? And how does it function?
City Page Today or Extension.citypage.today is a browser extension that redirects users to search results from Bing. In its interface, it contains quick links to local sites like Foursquare, TimeOut, The Weather Channel and so on. This suspicious browser extension claims to enhance users’ browsing experience by generating improved search results. Once this extension is installed, it will alter the browser’s default settings such as the search engine, homepage, and new tab page.
Once you start you using this browser extension, all your activities online will be monitored so it can collect information like all the ads you’ve clicked, websites you visit frequently, search queries, and many more. The information may be shared with its affiliated third parties so it can generate more targeted and customized ads. Clearly, City Page Today poses a threat to your privacy which is why it is considered to be a potentially unwanted program as well as a browser hijacker since it can hijack your computer without you knowing.
This dubious browser extension aims to gain more revenue via pay-per-click marketing so when you click ads delivered by this extension it brings in more money to its developers. In addition, when you also use its search engine, you will be redirected to search results by Bing. However, you need to be cautious as these search results are modified so they really can’t be trusted.
How is City Page Today distributed online?
City Page Today is distributed using various ways, one of which is via third-party installations. In other words, this browser hijacker is distributed in those installer setups that come from bundled applications and freeware that could be set to install additional programs by default. To avoid unwanted programs like City Page Today from infecting your computer, you need to select the Custom or Advanced setup during the installation of the software package.
Remove City Page Today from your computer before it can do any harm. How? Simply follow the steps below.
Step 1: Close all the browsers infected with City Page Today. If you’re having a hard time closing them, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 2: After you open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the infected browser’s process and end it.
Step 3: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now switch to the Advanced tab and click the Reset button.
- Then check the box for “Delete personal settings” and then click Reset again.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for Search.hyourweatherinfonow.com or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Click on Advanced.
- After that, click the Reset button to reset Google Chrome.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section.
- Tap Alt + H to access Help.
- Next, select “Troubleshooting information” and click “Refresh Firefox” at the top of the page.
- Now click “Refresh Firefox” again to confirm the reset.
Step 4: Open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 5: Look for any suspicious program that is affiliated with City Page Today and then Uninstalls it.
Step 6: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 7: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated with City Page Today and delete it/them.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
Step 9: Empty your Recycle Bin.
Follow the advanced removal steps below to make sure that City Page Today is removed from your system completely along with the files it has created.
Perform a full system scan using SpyRemover Pro. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in explorer http://www.fixmypcfree.com/install/spyremoverpro
A single space must be in between explorer and http. Click OK.
- A dialog box will be displayed by Internet Explorer. Click Run to begin downloading the program. The installation will start automatically once a download is done.
- Click OK to launch it.
- Run SpyRemover Pro and perform a full system scan.
- After all the infections are identified, click the REMOVE ALL
- Register the program to protect your computer from future threats.