Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Advanced System Repair to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Tower Blocks Extension? And how does it function?
Tower Blocks Extension is a new browser extension for Google Chrome browsers. This browser extension is offered as a game for building tower blocks. It is said to provide a pixel art experience and launch a tetris-like game in the new tab of a Chrome browser. However, there are some reports circulating online about this program downloading data from suspicious locations and connecting equally suspicious IP addresses.
Security experts have already analyzed this program and found some troubling facts about it. Based on their analysis, it seems that this program appears to share many code lines with the Memory Game Chrome Extension. Both of these programs are suspected to be used in loading questionable content in the Chrome browser and expose users to phishing web pages, fake user reviews, as well as offers to install some fake software or software update.
These are the generated background pages of the Tower Blocks Extension as listed in the Omnibox:
- ‘Tower Blocks | chrome-extension://dddpckplncklfbgaljojknnjolknpdbo/background.html’
- ‘Tower Blocks | chrome-extension://fiaddlecedlffmgbffpaglgkhaplhmcc/background.html’
- ‘Tower Blocks | chrome-extension://jlpoocknaaegkampkpafkkfghfjdmjna/background.html’
- ‘Tower Blocks | chrome-extension://ofcpgneakmigbpocaopjgjbjfjddoicb/background.html’
Tower Blocks Extension is designed to communicate with both the 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 IP addresses and download some insecure connections. In addition, both of these IP addresses are related to phishing web pages and other suspicious contents online. When you install this extension, it will ask you to grant it the right to read and change all the data exchanged over the web. Such privileges might be exploited by creators of the Tower Blocks Extension so if you have installed this program, it’s best if you remove it from your computer right away.
How is Tower Blocks Extension distributed over the web?
Tower Blocks Extension may be installed in your Google Chrome browser right after you click on a fake security check web page button displayed on malicious domains. This security check button has a label that states “I’m human”. Once you click on this button, the Tower Blocks Extension will be automatically installed on your computer.
Make sure to follow each one of the removal steps below to successfully uninstall Tower Blocks Extension from your computer.
Step 1: Tap the Win + R keys to open Run and then type in appwiz.cpl to open Control Panel to uninstall any suspicious program related to the adware.
Step 2: Look for Tower Blocks Extension under the list of installed programs. Once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 3: Close the Control Panel and tap the Win + E keys to open File Explorer. Navigate to the following directories and look for the hijacker’s installer like the software package it came with as well as other suspicious files and delete them.
Step 4: Close the File Explorer.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the host’s file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries containing Tower Blocks Extension.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Launch the Google Chrome browser and click the wrench icon. Afterward, click on Tools from the drop-down menu and select Extensions.
Step 7: Under the Extensions tab, select Tower Blocks Extension extension and other suspicious browser extensions related to it and then click on the Trash icon.
Step 8: Click on Remove button from the confirmation dialog box.
Step 9: Reset Google Chrome. To do that, click the three stripes icon located at the upper-right corner of your screen. And then select Settings.
Step 10: under Settings, look for Show advanced settings at the bottom of the page and click on it.
Step 11: Then click on the Reset browser settings button.
Step 12: After that, a dialog box pops up, click the Reset button to Reset Chrome.
Step 13: After you reset Chrome, enable the Phishing and Malware Protection in Chrome to prevent ad-supported programs like Tower Blocks Extension from infecting your computer again in the future. To do that, click Settings once again.
Step 14: Select the Show advanced settings again.
Step 15: Go to the Privacy section and check the Enable phishing and malware protection option.
Step 16: Restart Google Chrome.
Step 17: Don’t forget to empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
To completely get rid of Tower Blocks Extension and any files it may have created in your computer upon installation, you need to use Advanced System Repair – simply follow the steps below on how to use it.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.