Malware may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. This may require tracking down dozens of files in different locations.
We recommend downloading Restoro to eradicate Malware for you (it should cut down the time to about 15 minutes).
What is Pageups.com Search? And how does it function?
Pageups.com Search is a shady search engine that claims to generate improved search results to users when in reality it is nothing but a bogus search engine that makes unwanted changes to browsers like Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and other browsers. The instant it gets installed, it will alter the settings of the browsers such as the default search engine, homepage and new tab URL address to hxxp://pageups.com. Aside from that, it also modifies the shortcuts and the Windows Registry so it can achieve search queries, and many more. This kind of activity clearly poses a threat to users’ privacy persistence and users will be forced to use it every time the browse the web. Once this browser hijacker takes control of the browser, it begins to monitor users’ activities so it can collect information about users like their IP address, browsing history, OS version and so on. It uses the information it gathered to generate more targeted and customized ads to lure users into clicking them to gain more revenue.
The sponsored contents delivered by Pageups.com Search exist for the purpose of generating profit through them. In addition, the hijacker monitors and tracks your browsing-related activities to bring you ads that match your interests which is based on what sites you frequently visit, search queries, and so on. It’s crystal clear that this dubious site won’t do you any good at all. In fact, it might even expose you to other shady sites that may contain malicious infections. Aside from that, it can also add another browser hijacker, add-on and toolbar to your browsers. These behaviors should not be tolerated for it would put your security at risk and that the besting you can do is to remove it as soon as you can.
How is Pageups.com Search distributed over the web?
Pageups.com Search, like other browser hijackers gets attach to browsers when you download and install software bundles. Pageups.com Search is one of those additional programs that are added into a bundled package of software you can normally find in free sharing sites. So when you install this package, all the programs in it will be installed if you have selected just the standard or quick installation setup instead of using the recommended Custom and Advanced setup. With the Custom and Advanced setup, you can access the option to deselect the extra programs attach in the bundle. And if you’re really fond of downloading freeware, make sure that the next time you install it, you will be using the recommended setup.
You can get rid of Pageups.com Search from your browser and computer using the removal instructions provided below as well as the advanced steps that follow.
Step 1: First, you have to close the browser infected with the browser hijacker. And if you can’t close it manually, you can close it using the Task Manager instead. Tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys and open the Task Manager.
Step 2: Next, look for the process of your browser, right click on it and select End task or End process to close it.
Step 3: Afterwards, tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “appwiz.cpl” in the field and press Enter to open the Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 4: From the list of programs installed, look for any programs that could be related to Pageups.com Search or any suspicious program you don’t remember installing under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain Pageups.com Search.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Now you have to flush the DNS cache of your computer. To do so, right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 7: Next, hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 8: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to the browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 9: Close the File Explorer and empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Step 10: After that, restart your computer and then open your browsers and reset them back to their default state.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Refer to the advanced instructions given below to ensure the removal of this browser hijacker from your computer as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using asr. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://www.fixmypcfree.com/download.php?asr in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run asr to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.